What I have learned is this: You won't get followers if you don't follow others. That actually sounds like a life lesson as well doesn't it? Same for comments. So I started following and commenting, and guess what, yay, I got followers and comments. This may be obviously to you lot reading this, but it wasn't to me. I'd previously been used to blogging on my own website for my 4 year old son, full of pictures of what he'd been up to. My readers were my family and friends, living too far away to see us regularly, able to catch up on the blog. But I'd not had to earn readers. I am slowly appreciating that I now have to.
I joined the Lady Bloggers Society which has really helped me with pointers on how to find your style, for example. If you haven't already joined, give it a whirl, it is an extremely useful resource and fun to read too.
So I have some questions for you. Please help me out!
- How many blogs do you follow? At the moment I follow about ten and to be honest, I can't see how I can fit in following more. Admittedly sometimes I login a few times a day, upset that my fav blogger du jour hasn't posted something new.
- How many followers would you like to have? I've got seven and I'm chuffed to bits. (I think one of them is my alter ego/other blog, but let's skip to the next question.)
- How do you find new blogs? Am I lazy for looking at my followers' followed blogs and finding new ones that way? I do use the skip function at the top of our pages sometimes and wow, there are some way out blogs out there.
- How many times a week/month (OK day?) do you blog? I now have THREE posts in draft, yet when I'd just started the other week, I couldn't think of anything to blog about and had a terrible moment where I thought What have I done?
- Are you disappointed when a post that you thought was brilliant attracts ZERO comments? My post about being a MIMMY (what is it? well you'll just have to read it now won't you! OK it's a new acronym I've invented meaning More Involved MumMY born out of the, to my mind, misnomer of a word STAY in the phrase Stay At Home Mums) was, in my mind, a good personal effort and I've received no comments! Yet my throwaway post about the thrill my new leggings afforded me, received quite a few! Tell me, was I way off the mark with my MIMMY post? Do you think I'm more of the LEGGINGS kinda blogger? I'd love to hear back on this from you, but then I'm assuming that people will actually have read this far!